Thursday, December 23, 2010

Unfolding


Growing up, my family lived by the motto: "the universe is unfolding as it should."

It's from the beautiful poem Desiderata by Max Ehrmann. And when I say we lived by those words, I really mean it. In some form or fashion, you can find that phrase in nearly every room of my parent's house - even the bathrooms. Especially in the bathrooms. You just never know when or where you're going to need a gentle reminder that everything is happening exactly as it's meant to happen - the bathroom is no exception. In troubled times - and trust me, we've had more than our fair share - those words brought us light, and calm, and hope.

I'm less than a week into this blog and I already feel the need to apologize for my lack of posting. I have good reason for being absent but, unfortunately it's not good news. I usually sway towards being the over-sharing type, but in this case, the incidents causing me to be an absent blogger aren't really mine to share. So, for now - I'll just tell you this:

I found out yesterday that someone I love is going through a hard time, and is in trouble. This news was unwelcome, to say the least, and made all the more dramatic by the background of the unending rainstorm that was still pouring down on Los Angeles yesterday. I spent the day in a daze, not really sure what to do with myself. I tried to distract myself by wandering through Target and Costco, which usually brings me so much joy (more on that in a later post), but the weather was really getting me down and my eyes were tired from tears. I decided to give in and go back to bed.

I closed my eyes and rested my head on the pillow. The window was open a bit so I could hear the sound of the rain falling - a favorite from my many years as a camper. Even with my eyes closed, I could feel the light shift in the room, so I woke up and looked outside. Here's what I saw:


A double rainbow. An insanely vibrant, bright and vivid rainbow - times two.

I know that the majority of my posts have had some sort of weather-related theme, and I swear and solemnly promise that this will not become standard operating procedure on this blog. But, come on...a double rainbow? Light shining through the dark? On my dark, sad day with seemingly no happiness in sight?

Coincidence? Perhaps. But, cliche as it may be, I choose to take that rainbow as a little note from the universe that everything is unfolding as it should.

And it brings me light, and calm, and hope.


1 comment: