Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Farewell, Old Friend


I made a gigantic, life-changing decision on Sunday: I'm giving up Diet Coke.

It happened in a moment when I was actually considering going Vegan (?!??!) but I decided that, if I was seriously considering eliminating something from my diet, I'd choose cheese over (delicious) chemicals. Once the decision was made, I promptly drove to 7-11 and purchased a gigantic Big Gulp filled with the sweet, sweet nectar of life (aka fountain DC) for one last rendezvous. And I have to tell you - it was magnificent.

I've been trying to clean up my act for awhile now in preparation for hopefully starting our family later this year. Recently, I was lunching with a friend who is a bit older than me and has been trying for awhile to get preganant. Something she said resontated with me, about trying to only put 'clean' stuff into my body 80% of the time - cause aiming for 100% will drive a person crazy! That, along with a couple of interesting articles about veganism, has just struck a chord with me and got me thinking about being more mindful about what goes into my body, especially cause I hope it will be home to a little growing human one day soon! :)

I've been able to ween myself off of the spelnda I usually put in my morning coffee, so I'm feeling confident about the DC challenge. Although I must say that I am significantly less addicted to Splenda than I am to Diet Coke, so who knows! I've been 'clean' for only one day and so far, so good. I expect the shakes to kick in any moment now. Keep me in your thoughts.

To my beloved beverage:
I'll never forget when we first fell in love -
you were offered to me in mass quantities for just pennies at The Den (RIP) in Madtown.
Our affair was passionate and lengthy, spanning multiple jobs, roommates,
boyfriends, and states - you were with me through it all.
I will miss you, terribly.
Farewell, Old friend.

1 comment: